Frequently asked questions about sailing class
Do I have to know how to swim?
- No. We sail in displacement boats that don’t tip over called keelboats.
What do I wear?
- Clothing: Comfortable clothing, but think in terms of layers. Often it is cooler in the morning and warmer in the afternoon. Any clothes you peel off can be stored below on the boat.
- Jacket: A waterproof or repellent jacket to keep you dry if possible.
- Shoes: Soft soled, non-marking shoes, like tennis or deck shoes. No sandals or open toe shoes.
- Misc: A hat and sunglasses are recommended as well. Also a safety strap for glasses are advised.
Do I need to bring anything?
- A pencil with a erazer.
- Sunscreen and a bottle of water is recommended. For all day classes you will have a lunch break to either go out to grab some lunch or you can bring your own.
What is included in the class?
- Study materials including books and handouts, ASA logbook for certification seals, ASA membership (BKB), use of boats, instructors, and classrooms
How many people are there in a class?
- There is a maximum of four students to a boat class. Some classes may run with as few as 2 students.
What happens if I have to miss a class?
- We can schedule makeups whenever there is a space available in another similar class. There is a $25 fee for each makeup class.
What is the cancellation policy?
- We require at least a 30 day notice to cancel a class at no charge. Less than a 30 days to 21 days notice 30%, 20 days to 14 days notice 50%, 13 days to 2 days 80%, cancellation fee. Less than 2 days or those who don’t show or don’t call to cancel or reschedule a class will be No refund.
Is certification good everywhere?
- ASA is recognized worldwide. Getting your ASA certification gives you the credentials to charter sailboats all around the world.